Bite size summary
For Giki Zero we use your information to provide our service which is to calculate, track and reduce your environmental footprint. You can delete your account at any time and you have further rights which are detailed below. Your personal data is exactly that so we don't sell your data to any third parties.
Information you provide to us and how we use it
We collect the information from you as detailed below:
- To access certain areas of our Platform, you may need to register with us. During the registration process you will be asked to submit personal information about yourself (including your name and address, date of birth, e-mail address and telephone number). By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable Giki to provide you with the services you select;
- We will also collect personal information from you when you correspond with us (for example, if you contact us with a query about one of our products or services), when you provide your details when you contact Giki by telephone;
- If you choose to interact with Giki via a social media platform or other third party service, we will collect the information you have provided to us through that platform; and
- We also collect certain information automatically about visitors to our Platform, described in the section headed “Cookies and other information that we automatically collect”, below.
We also collect the following “environmental impact” information from you when you chose to provide it:
- Information about whether you are currently planting trees in order to mitigate your environmental impact;
- Information about your household utilities including gas, water, oil and electricity usage. We also collect information about your estimated waste;
- Information about both your different modes of transport and the amount that you use those different transport types. This includes information about whether you own certain forms of transport such as a car;
- Information about your diet type, pet ownerships and food waste;
- Information about purchases you may make such as clothing, furniture, electrical items, cleaning products and personal care items. This information is not product specific; and
- Information about services you may use including accommodation and mobile communications. This information is non-specific.
We will use the information we collect from you as necessary for the performance of our contract with you (or where you are using the services as part of a Giki Pro subscription, as necessary in our legitimate interests to perform our contract with the main subscriber). This includes to:
- Provide services;
- Manage our accounts and records;
- Deal with your enquiries and requests; and
- Send service related communications, including announcements and administrative messages.
We will also use the information we collect from you where necessary for our legitimate interests of operating, protecting and improving our business including to:
- Conduct market research so that we can continuously improve the services we provide to our customers;
- Prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities as part of our efforts to keep our Platform and services secure; and
- Understand how our Platform is used so that we can continuously improve our Platform and services and other offerings.
Where you have agreed to a particular use of your information, we process it on the basis of your consent. For example, we will send you our newsletter by email (which contains marketing from us and our third party partners (for example organisations that help people cut their carbon footprints if you sign up for it. The marketing newsletter is not part of signing up to Giki Zero, and signing up to Giki Zero, does not sign you up to our marketing newsletter. [If you are business user or a prospective business user we may send you marketing from time to time on the basis of our legitimate interests but you will always have the right to unsubscribe at any time.] In respect of our use of your environmental impact information, the provision of this information is voluntary and the tool is available using default settings for users without inputting any information. When you submit your environmental impact information, we will use this information we collect from you to estimate your overall environmental impact. For example we use information about your electricity and gas use to estimate your carbon footprint and we use information about your diet to estimate your carbon footprint and the land and water required to provide a diet similar to yours. As a further example we use information about modes of transport and distance travelled to also estimate your carbon footprint. Any household data that you enter will be assigned to all members of your household, including any future household members who are added from time to time. All members of a household have access to view, and update, all information for other people in the household. Examples of household data include, but are not limited to, information on electricity usage, gas usage, pets, personal care items and household waste. The assignment of household data to other household members will remain as household data even after your profile is no longer active. We will not share your individual environmental impact information with third parties except to the extent mentioned in the "Sharing your information" section. However, we will process such information in such a way that you are no longer identifiable, and may use such information (i) to compile aggregate statistics, metrics and general trend data for the enhancement and optimization of our services and (ii) in an aggregate, anonymous way for trending and analytics purposes. In certain circumstances, we may be obliged process your personal data in order to fulfil our compliance and other obligations under relevant legislation or regulation.
Cookies and other information that we automatically collect
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- First party cookies, served directly by Giki to your computer or mobile device. They are used only by Giki to recognise your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Platform.
- Third party cookies, which are served by a third party service provider on our Platform, and can be used by the service provider to recognise your computer or mobile device when it visits other platforms. Third party cookies are most commonly used for platform analytics or advertising purposes.
Cookies can remain on your computer or mobile device for different periods of time. Giki uses both 'session cookies' and ‘permanent cookies’. Session cookies exist only while your browser is open and are deleted automatically once you close your browser. Permanent cookies survive after your browser is closed, and can be used to recognise your computer or mobile device when you open your browser and browse the internet again.
What cookies does Giki use?We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it when enabled. We don’t set optional cookies unless they are enabled. Necessary cookies Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and authentication. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. Analytics cookies We use analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone.
Sharing your information
We do not share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except under the following circumstances:
- we will disclose your personal information to third party providers for the purposes of providing online services, and any other services required in order for us to use your information for the purposes specified in the section entitled “Information you provide us and how we use it”;
- we will disclose your personal information to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other third party where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party;
- where you are using the services as part of a Giki Pro subscription, we will share your calculated environmental impact (e.g. your carbon footprint), your Giki score the type and the overall number of steps that you have committed to and completed with the main subscriber of the services (e.g. your employer where your employer is the Giki Zero Pro subscriber). The main subscriber will be an independent data controller of such personal data;
The Platforms are not directed at anyone who we know to be under the age of 13, nor do we collect any personal information from anyone who we know to be under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you should not use the Platforms and should not submit any personal information to us. In addition, our Platforms are not specifically aimed at young people but if you are a young person aged 13 or over using our Platforms then this policy will tell you about your rights and how we use your data. Please ask your parents or guardian if you have any questions and they can also contact us.
For users in the United States
California Privacy RightsThis section applies solely to the personal information collected online and offline of California consumers (excluding our employees, applicants, staff and contractors). This section is intended to address the relevant notice requirements of the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the “CCPA”), and uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the CCPA. Your information, sources and purposes: Please refer to the sections above headed “Information you provide to us and how we use it” and “Cookies and other information that we automatically collect” for a description of the personal information we may collect about you (or have collected in the preceding 12 months) and the sources of such information (such as directly from you and your device or through certain third parties). These sections also describe the purposes for which we may use or have used such information. Sharing your information: We may have shared your personal information with certain categories of third parties, as described in the section headed “Sharing your information” above. Selling your information: We do not sell personal information in exchange for monetary compensation. Your rights: Subject to exceptions under applicable law, you may have certain choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information, as described below:
- Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months and details regarding our collection, use, disclosure and sale, if any, of such information.
- Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
- Opt-Out: You have the right to opt out of certain cookie use, as described in the section headed “How to control or delete cookies.”
To exercise your rights, please contact us as described in the section headed “Contact Us” below. If you exercise your rights, we may require you to provide certain information to verify your identity (such as your name, email address, phone number and/or address) or the authority of any third person acting on your behalf. No discrimination: If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. This section is available in alternative formats upon request by contacting us as described in the section headed “Contact Us” below. Personal, family and household clients: In addition, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, if you are a California resident and your business relationship with us is primarily for personal, family or household purposes, you may request certain data regarding our disclosure, if any, of personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail message to our e-mail address below with “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line. You may make such a request up to once per calendar year. If applicable, we will provide you, by e-mail, a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the third parties’ names and addresses. Please note that not all personal information sharing is covered by Section 1798.83’s requirements.
Where we share your information with a third party service provider outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland (as detailed in the section entitled “Sharing your information”), we contractually oblige the third party service provider to implement adequate safeguards to protect your information.
Protecting your information
We want you to feel confident about using our Platform, and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect. We limit access to personal information about you to employees who reasonably need access to it, to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We have appropriate technical and organisational physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the personal information that you provide to us against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. However, where we ask you to choose a password in order to access certain parts of our Platform, you are responsible for selecting a secure password and keeping that password confidential. You should choose a password which you do not use on any other site, and you should not share it with anyone else.
Retaining your information
You have the right to ask for access to any personal information that we hold about you in our records, to correct any inaccuracies and to update any out-of-date information. In some circumstances, you have the right to request the erasure of your personal information or a restriction of its use. You have the right to object to us processing your personal information in some cases. In particular, you can ask us to stop sending you direct marketing communications at any time (however please note that we may continue to send you service-related (i.e. non-marketing) communications, such as e-mail updates on your order status). If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please write to us at the address listed below. You may unsubscribe from e-mail marketing communications at any time by e-mailing the address below in the section headed “Contact us” or clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any Giki marketing e-mails. If you have a concern about how we use your information, as a first step please contact us using the details set out below and we will do our best to resolve your concern. After investigating your concern, we will respond to you in writing within a reasonable time setting out our proposed remedial action. If you think we have processed your personal information in a manner which is unlawful or breaches your rights you also have the right to complain to a European Data Protection Authority in your place of residence or work, or the jurisdiction in which the processing took place.